OMRON to Introduce NX-series Safety Network Controller That is World’s First*1 to Support Two Industrial Safety Networks
OMRON Corporation announced the global release in August of its new NX-series Safety Network Controller that is the world’s first to support two safety protocols: CIP Safety™*2 that is adopted by industrial robot manufacturers and Safety over EtherCAT®*3 (FSoE) that provides high-speed response.
In food factories where a wide variety of products are produced, the NX-series Safety Network Controller facilitates building and modifying safety systems for production lines using industrial robots and controls safety systems at high speeds, helping manufacturers create manufacturing sites which ensure workers’ safety and productivity.
Food manufacturers now need to flexibly change production line layouts to produce low-volume, high-mix products and deal with short product life cycles. However, with the conventional safety controllers, they must check the safety system for the entire line even when changing a part of the line. In addition, since robots are increasingly adopted and manufacturing sites are located worldwide, the demand for easy installation and maintenance of advanced safety systems is growing due to the shortage of experienced safety administrators.
To meet these demands, OMRON has developed the NX-series Safety Network Controller. This controller allows easy building of safety systems for large production lines using industrial robots and for manufacturing equipment requiring high-speed control and provides modular safety control, eliminating the need to stop the entire production line when the layout is changed or maintained. Automatic Programming for safety systems and Offline Simulation and Online Functional Test for checking safety programs reduce the time required from design to safety verification. Moreover, Safety Data Logging allows even inexperienced workers to identify the cause of a sudden line stoppage, helping maximize productivity.
OMRON set forth a concept called „innovative-Automation!“ consisting of three innovations or „i’s“–„integrated“ (control evolution), „intelligent“ (development of intelligence by ICT), and „interactive“ (new harmonization between people and machines). OMRON is now committed to bringing innovation to manufacturing sites by materializing this concept. By using the NX-series Safety Network Controller, OMRON continues to pursue remarkable enhancements in productivity and safety for the global manufacturing industry and accelerates the materialization of „innovative-Automation!“ together with its client companies.
1.Two different networks in a single safety system to meet customers’ needs
- The NX-series Safety Network Controller connected with the NX102 Machine Automation Controller enables the use of both EtherNet/IP™ + CIP Safety™ and EtherCAT® + FSoE at the same time.
- Safety systems for CIP Safety™ robots from various vendors can be easily built.
- The NX-SL5700 Safety CPU Unit provides up to 254 CIP Safety™ connections, enabling building safety systems for large production lines.
- The NX-series Safety Network Controller in combination with the NX102 Machine Automation Controller provides real-time safety control of up to 12 motors using EtherCAT® and FSoE.
2.Integrated development environment Sysmac Studio for quick safety programming
- Automatic Programming cuts safety control programming time.
- Offline Simulation allows verification of programs without connecting hardware.
- Online Functional Test provides instructions on the screen from safety system check at line set-up to report output, allowing even users without expertise to test safety systems.
3.Easy maintenance and quick troubleshooting
- Safety Data Logging helps to quickly identify the cause of a line stoppage.
- Safety Unit Restore allows easy hardware replacement without using software.